COVID-19 makes daily activities ‘stressful’

Christabel Sogbaka

Nicole Denson-Sogbaka helps her kids with their assignments as she works from home.

Nicole Denson-Sogbaka sits at the dining table typing on her computer, sending emails to business partners, having business meetings and instructing co-workers. Denson-Sogbaka makes sure everything needed to be done in a day has been done before the day ends.

Confronting the typical daily coronavirus routine spent at home has become “stressful,” said the resident of Canton. 

“I didn’t know how much my kids and family enjoyed spending time with me until I started working from home. Indeed, having to be with my loved ones is so wonderful, even though there are ups and downs,” said Denson-Sogbaka. 

There are difficulties in focusing on her work because three daughters are at home and also need attention, “which is very frustrating,” said the district manager of the Michigan Department Of Health And Human Services.

Denson-Sogbaka said the struggle is demanding because kids tend to depend solely on their parents to help them with their school work. 

Christian Sogbaka, a customer service and gate agent of Delta Airlines, typically leaves for his job early in the morning and works a full schedule. Now his hours have been reduced and he goes out to Metro Airport only a few times a week.

The husband of Nicole Denson-Sogbaka has seen the airline business slacken off due to travel restrictions caused by the pandemic. “About 90% of our workers have been laid off,” said the ticket agent. 

Christian Sogbaka also expressed frustration about the process of paying workers who have been laid off. “People file for unemployment and still haven’t been paid.”

On March 13, Plymouth-Canton Community Schools shut down school operations due to the outbreak of the virus. The majority of students now take online classes at home.

Many eleventh grade students were perturbed by the standardized exams being cancelled across all states. Mishka Macutkiewicz, a Salem student, said, “I wish we could have written the SAT exams to get the stress off of us.” 

Many juniors are losing the opportunity of taking the SAT exams multiple times to improve their scores. 

The routine of students has altered around the world. Chesterfield Sogbaka, who normally attends traditional classes at Beijing Institute of Graphic Communication, now  is taking online classes.

“Indeed my life has totally changed, especially my sleeping pattern. I now have more time to sleep,” said the information technology major. “I wake up having nothing to do. I wish everything could go back to the way it was.”

Teachers are now treating online classes in a way to continue education but not to replace the original school experience, said Chesterfield Sogbaka, who currently lives in China. 

He said online classes are ineffective and it’s affecting him a lot. “I usually get distracted because I’m half of the time on the internet,” said the university student. “First and foremost, you need to have a good internet connection,” Chesterfield Sogbaka said with a chuckle.