The Perspective

Filed under Columns

Listen Up #6

Already known for his experimental music, Dave Longstreth of Dirty Projectors just released a new track entitled “Cool Your Heart,” featuring artist D∆WN.

Longstreth wrote the song soon after experiencing heartbreak which is shown in the lyrics which speak of wanting to be with the “right one.” Longstreth asks what loneliness feels like while painting a peaceful and vaguely tropical picture with fun, breezy and slightly electronic instrumentals.

Also very recently, Julie Byrne’s new album, “Not Even Happiness,” saw its release. The album was written shortly after Byrne’s move to NYC where she felt a strong disconnect with nature–a very important inspiration for her songs–and only when she took a job as a park ranger was she able to escape her writer’s block and deliver the piece of art that her new album is. The album talks of spending time in nature and appreciating its true beauty, which is captured by the soft melodies accompanied by Byrne’s deep, soft voice.

For example, “Natural Blue,” talks of driving through the countryside of Colorado, the song, along with the rest of the album is a blend of folk and country.

About the Writer
Colby Johnson, Copy Editor

My name’s Colby, and I run Track and Cross Country for Salem high school. I enjoy reading, writing, drawing and music. I work at Dunkin’ Donuts. I’m enlisted in the Army and I ship out to boot camp this coming July.