Plymouth Girls Gymnastics loses first meet of the season

Plymouth Girls Gymnastics had their first meet on Dec. 5 versus Livonia Blue, which is a team combined with Stevenson High School, and the first half of Franklin High School. This event was held at 6:30 p.m. at Churchill High School. The team has been working for over a month to prepare for their first competition.

There are four events that gymnasts are able to compete on; uneven bars, vault, floor exercise and balance beam. Not all gymnasts have the opportunity to compete on every event; only the top 12 can compete on each event. While Livonia Blue may seem like a team divided, they didn’t back down against Plymouth. The final score was 138.25 to 133, making Plymouth face defeat for the start of the season.

Captain Adriana Tao Plymouth senior had lots to say about the start of the season. Tao said, “While we’ve only been together for about a month, and about two-thirds of the team (are) freshmen, we have started a bond as a team already.” Tao also mentioned that they have girls who have never done gymnastics before, and others who have done it for over a decade. “Overall, gymnastics is meant to be fun, and everyone does their best, we will have an awesome season,” said Tao.

The Plymouth team has mentor leaders, who help out the incoming freshmen, and sophomores to teach them how to do basic skills, making them more comfortable around the team. Mentor Ava Eilola, Plymouth sophomore, said, “Our practices consist of going to gymnastics events to see others compete, and also working on your personal abilities to improve on your skills.” Eilola explained that they have been working very hard this season and even though they lost, they will continue to work on their technique and be a strong team. “One person’s strengths can make up (for) another person’s weaknesses and vice-versa,” said Eilola.