Plymouth Canton DIY: The Revival

Garage bands have always been a social phenomenon, but the do-it-yourself music scene in the Plymouth-Canton area has really found its way into the social culture of P-CEP. Students who are passionate about music have found a way, even with their limited collective resources, to book and fund their shows, get their own venues, record their own music, make it available on social media  and independently build their own fanbase through social media.

The informality of social media has really brought new life to our local scene in the recent years. Thurston High School junior and vocalist Jalil Fuller says, “I was chilling in my room. I think I was on Theron’s page, and I saw there was [sic] like a whole bunch of people playing shows. I was like, ‘I wanna play a show.’ I just hit up about like thirty people that one day.”

The scene has existed for years, experiencing its fair share of rise and fall with people graduating and moving on to bigger and better things. However, there has been a revival in the last couple years with the current juniors and seniors.

A few of the acts made up of current P-CEP students include Jr. High Cheer Squad, Me and the Dog, Hilltop Drive, Cup and Pre-algebra. The well connected groups of musicians and fans that make up the community have created a place for expression free of judgment and restriction; it’s not about who can do it the best or be the most popular.

These almost weekly shows promote creativity and tolerance in the student body by casting away the pressures of a school environment. “There [are] no rules or anything. It’s whatever we want it to be. When you do something facilitated by somebody else, you have to play by their rules, but we’re making the rules,” said Chris Creguer, Canton High School junior and guitar player for Hilltop drive.

Everything is a matter of getting out there. DIY, meaning do-it-yourself, is the mantra of this local scene. If someone wants to play a show, they have to lock down dates, additional acts, venues, set times and the finances. If your band wants to record or release something, they have to get writing, finalize the chords, make time (and often pay) to record and then get that mixed and mastered.

Despite the perception that this is just a bunch of teenagers messing around, a full blown operation works beneath the surface. It is more than that though. When people understand what the bands put into this, it is a testament to their dedication and passion.

Canton senior and lead singer of Jr. High Cheer Squad George Rafthka said, “It (DIY) means hard working kids doing what they love and having a good time.” In recent years the music industry has started evolving and changing to uplift young hardworking artists.

The gimmicky, money hungry mentality the industry is known for is falling to the wayside with the rise of independent musicians. That being said, there are high hopes for the future of P-CEP’s pop punk.