PARC Failed Proposal and Effects on Students

The Plymouth Arts and Recreation Complex, better known as the PARC, is one of Plymouth’s newer additions to the city. According to the PARC’s website, their mission is to “enrich lives through quality arts, education and recreation programs for all ages.” The PARC attempts to achieve this goal through of all the activities and groups that are to be found there. To list a few there’s Eden Arts Cooperative, In the Band Music Appreciation Studio, Forever After Productions, The Simple Kitchen, Z Spot Fitness Studio and various activities including open swim and open gym.

In the most recent election on Nov. 6, it was voted on whether or not to allow government funding to go toward the PARC. The money they would be getting would be for repairs to the pool, construction of an 800-seat performing arts center and other maintenance repairs because of the old building once being a middle school. The proposal was voted against though, leaving some community members brokenhearted and others elated.

The PARC is not only a big part of the Plymouth community, but it’s also a big part of the P-CEP student community. Many students from P-CEP are involved in opportunities that the PARC has to offer. Marquette Winston, Canton senior, is involved with In The Band Music Appreciation Studio at the PARC.

“The PARC has given me and the other musicians I play with a space to create, rehearse and perform our music,” Winston said. She then expressed her reasoning on why the facility is important:

“Expressions of the arts is already limited and the PARC gives kids a platform close to home to be able to grow a love for art and develop skills in art.”

Even younger students who haven’t made their way to the Park yet show their love and support of the PARC. Keira Whipple, Plymouth Scholars eighth-grader, says she is involved with musical theatre with one of the PARC’s tenants, Forever After Productions.

“I think it’s important to have a place like the PARC because it’s a place that brings people together,” she said. “It gives people a chance to try new things and be a part of the community.”

Students were very shocked to see the results on the election and to hear that the proposal did not pass, including Salem junior, Corinne Marsh.

“It hurts me very deeply to know that the PARC will be closing,” said Marsh, who is involved with the PARC’s In The Band Music Appreciation Studio. Marsh continued on to explain that the PARC does in fact matter and that, “just because it doesn’t affect you personally, it doesn’t mean it doesn’t matter.”