Canton High School’s Mascot/Logo Advisory Committee now open for applications

The+current+Canton+High+School+logo+is+displayed+within+the+Canton+High+School+Cafeteria.+January+20%2C+2022.+

RJ Doroshewitz

The current Canton High School logo is displayed within the Canton High School Cafeteria. January 20, 2022.

Due to concerns of cultural insensitivity surrounding the former mascot for Canton High School, a Native American chief, as well as petitions in opposition from students, the P-CCS Board of Education has begun efforts to replace the mascot. Currently, the logo is at an intermediate stage as a block C.

The Board is creating a Mascot/Logo Advisory Committee in order to establish a student-led initiative to rename the logo. Applications opened on January 12.

Members of the committee will have an array of responsibilities, including getting feedback from the P-CCS community from students, alumni, families and staff; the committee will also finalize and recommend a plan for the new mascot and deliver a recommendation to Superintendent Monica L. Merritt within 90 days of selecting the committee members.

To apply, a letter of interest should be sent to the Board of Education, alongside other relevent information. The application is due on Wednesday, February 1, at 4 p.m.

Students interested in being part of the committee should visit this link for more information.