The Student News Site of Plymouth-Canton Educational Park

The Perspective

The Perspective

The Perspective

Salem Girls Golf on the rise for success

Zaleigh Meyer, Salem junior, works on her form during her private lesson at the Fox Hills Golf Club in Plymouth, Mich.

Salem junior Zaleigh Meyer arrived at Fox Hills Golf Course on August 7, 2023, waiting for her golf tryouts to commence. Walking up the grass, she analyzed the people attending the tryouts and the skill level of each of her future teammates. She quickly came to the realization that the team could benefit from improvement to their golfing skills.

The Salem Girls Golf team has made gains in both the number of participants and the skill level of its players during the 2022-23 season and looks to increase both in the coming year.

The minimum number of players needed to be able to compete in a match under the MHSAA is five people. In the 2022-23 season, Salem only had four participants. At times, the team needed to combine with Canton’s golf team for the girls to be allowed to compete. 

“My first year coaching in 2021 I had five kids on the team; then I had four in 2022. Then, this year, 2023, we grew to have 11, so it was a huge change from my first year where I had barely anyone,” said Hope Warkozeski, head coach of Salem Girls Golf.

This past fall season brought many new first-year players who were willing to learn how to play the game, including Meyer, who chose golf, an activity that was fun for her.  The sport quickly grew into a passion. Her dad subsequently enrolled her in golf lessons and her game improved. Golf has now become a daily pursuit for Meyer.

To keep in fit condition for the season, the Salem Girls Golf Team works to advance its game through the winter at Fox Hills Golf Club, in Plymouth, taking advantage of the golf simulators as well as private instructors.

“Through the offseason, I plan to continue to go to private lessons, as well as play the course with my dad and some of my teammates. Practice helps a lot, and if you don’t stay consistent, then you are not going to improve for next season,” Meyer said.

Meyer uses a variety of tools to improve her game, however one of the biggest helpers is the swing path machine at Fox Hills, which allows players to know what it feels like to swing on the right plane translating to consistent and more accurate shots on the course.“Some people might be swinging too much around their body or too much up and down. So having an accurate swing path is really going to make you a consistent golfer and be able to hit the ball with power,” said Coach Warkozeski.

Meyer is not the only hard worker through the offseason. Salem student Soha Modi has been putting in the work to continue to see enhancements in her golf swing.

“I really want to improve.Through the off-season I have been meeting with a swing coach who has helped me through practice and improving my overall swing,” said Modi. 

The improvements from Modi have been been significant. From her first match on Aug. 23, to her last match on Oct. 9, she shaved a total of 11 strokes off to end the season with a score of 63.

Salem senior and Salem Girls Golf Captain Eva Garza saw the team begin from a position of being barely eligible to play to almost winning a couple of rounds.

“Through the years, I have seen so much improvement through the younger kids,” said Garza. “I’ve been on the team for four years, and this past year especially, the improvement has been incredible. I foresee great things for next year.”