Representative Debbie Dingell visits Canton High School with speech to students on political involvement, more

Debbie Dingell, who represents Michigan’s 6th district, gives an impassioned speech on the intricacies of government and her experiences representing the people of her district.
Lucas Gentilia

Coming this election season, thousands of P-CEP students will become eligible voters for the first time. On Wednesday, April 3, Congresswoman Debbie Dingell, who represents the majority of students at P-CEP, visited the Canton High School Little Theatre with a message of getting involved in government, even at a young age. 

Orchestrated by AP US Government and Politics teacher, Jennifer Bennett, the presentation was created to increase the political efficacy of students at the Park. 

Representative Dingell opened her speech with one of her first experiences in the

Ben Clark, Canton junior, asks for college advice from Debbie Dingle who encouraged him to enter into a field he’s passionate about and everything else will follow.

political world when in high school. Dingell said that after she received her paychecks from her first job, she was frustrated that she was being unfairly taxed without being able to vote, with the national voting age being 21 at the time. Dingell’s determination led her to found the organization Citizens United for the Vote at 18, a high school student organization aiming to lower the voting age to 18 in Michigan. 

Citizens United for the Vote at 18 helped get a 1966  ballot initiative in front of  Michigan voters. The initiative did not pass, but five years later the 26th Amendment was passed by the national government, lowering the voting age that Dingell had fought for. 

The conflict in the Middle East in Gaza has drawn the attention of many students at P-CEP. Various clubs and events have been created in support of Palestine such as a bracelet fundraiser to gather aid money for Palestine this past month, a pro-Palestine protest during school in October and the P-CEP Palestinian Awareness Club. 

During the presentation on April 3, students asked Dingell about her views on the war in Gaza. Dingell was quick to say that humanitarian aid was needed.

“We need humanitarian aid in Gaza period. We want the hostages to come home,” said Dingell.  “What Hamas did was a terrorist attack, but we’ve seen way too many innocent civilians die, almost 14,000 children have died. It’s not okay. We need humanitarian aid.”

Dingell continued by acknowledging the war in Ukraine and expressed that funding is needed now. “Ukraine’s democracy is very much at stake. We’re fighting for democracy around the world and they really need our support,” said Dingell.

Throughout much of the presentation, Dingell talked to students about the work she has done in in local community and in Michigan. She wants students to realize that party lines are not always as polarizing as they may seem. One example was the work she did with Rick Snyder, the fo

Representative Dingell takes a minute with students from AP US Government and Politics interested in a potential career in government.

rmer Republican governor of Michigan, in creating a PFAS drinking water standard that is higher than the EPA’s national standard. 

“When Rick Snyder was governor. he set up a PFAS scientific taskforce. They recommended a standard for drinking water or PFAS in Michigan and put it into law,” said Dingell. “That Michigan drinking water standard, which we’ve got because of Rick Snyder’s leadership is stronger than the guideline that EPA has.”

The speech wasn’t entirely politics-based. Dingell also expressed her love for the state of Michigan, and how proud she was to be able to represent such great people. Dingell praised the local food in Southeast Michigan saying she is a big fan of the dive bars and Coney Island restaurants in the area. “Who doesn’t like a Coney dog?” said Dingell. “I like the lemon rice soup, onion rings and absolutely a hot fudge sundae.”

Update: Since the writing of this article, on April 20, Dingell voted no on the Ukraine Security Supplemental Appropriations Act which secured humanitarian aid for Gaza