Arts Academy hosts 5th annual benefit

The Plymouth-Canton Educational Park Arts Academy is hosting its 5th Annual Benefit Concert and Silent Auction on Friday, Nov. 4 at the Canton Dubois Little Theater. There is also an in-school performance of the Benefit Concert the day before, Nov. 3, during second, fourth and fifth hour. “It’s a great way for Academy kids and non-Academy kids to participate in an event that uses their talents to benefit the community,” said Plymouth senior Kaylee Rahill. The concert will start at 7 p.m. There is a $10 suggested donation at the door to support the Student Advocacy Center in Ypsilanti.

Every year the Arts Academy comes together to decide on what organization they would like to benefit. This year, they chose The Student Advocacy Center of Michigan, which works to help, support, advocate and mentor disadvantaged youth in Michigan. This includes kids in the foster care system, students who are wrongly expelled, homeless, mentally ill and students who are facing challenges in attending or enrolling in school.

There will be all different kinds of art forms showcased at this year’s benefit. “There is a variety of performances and talents. You have the Brass Bands, the Slam Poets, the Singers and the Musicians,” said Salem senior Abbey Sexton. Students from all over the Park came to audition when the Arts Academy Benefit Audition Committee held auditions in the choir room Oct. 12. “There was a lot of competition. We had a really hard time making our final decisions because of all the talent,” said Zak Rahal, Canton senior.

The Arts Academy is still looking for art of all forms to be auctioned off at the Benefit Concert. If you are interested in donating your artwork for the auction, you can grab a submission form from Salem Room 2202, fill it out and submit it to the drop-in box at Room 2202 with your artwork attached.